Adult volunteers are critical to the success of our camp program. Being an Adult volunteer at Mountaindale West Day Camp is a rewarding, fun-filled experience. Not only are you able to provide young girls with an outdoor experience, but you also get to do this in a supportive and well-planned environment. Adults who volunteer find that they gain a wealth of experience and knowledge that they can use and pass on in other aspects of their lives. In return for volunteering, all full-time, full-week adult volunteers ensure that their child or children will have a spot at camp.
We look forward to having you join us at camp for a week where memories will be made!
- Volunteers must register for camp during the registration period.
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older and must be registered Girl Scout members for the current membership year. You can register at our council’s website. The membership year runs from October 1, 2016 - September 30, 2017.
- Volunteers must pass a background check conducted by the Girl Scouts of Oregon and Southwest Washington (GSOSW) Council within the past three years from the start of camp
- Volunteers must be willing to be at camp for the entire week. Our camp does not offer part-time positions. Our philosophy is that consistency within the unit, with the same 2 adults, makes for a smoother week for everyone. Part time unit leaders, switching during the week, disrupt the flow of the unit.
- Volunteers must attend all required training sessions for camp.
- Volunteers must complete any online Girl Scout trainings that are required by GSOSW. You will be notified by the Volunteer Coordinator if you are required to complete any online trainings.
- Volunteer leaders of Junior units and older should be able to commit to spending Thursday night with their unit.
During the registration process, you will have an opportunity to express the areas at camp where you are interested in working. Please be sure to list any skills, hobbies, degrees, trainings, and certifications as this will help us match you more closely to your strengths. You will also have the opportunity to choose the program levels that you are interested in working with. Please note that Junior units and older do spend the night on Thursday night.
Volunteer Training Sessions
There are two, possibly three, different required training sessions that all volunteers must attend for Mountaindale West Day Camp.
New Volunteer Orientation
Oak Hills Church (tentative)
Wednesday, May 9, 2018 from 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
New Volunteer Orientation is required for all new volunteers of Mountaindale West Day Camp. Since all the camps are run differently by each volunteer camp group, if you have not volunteered at Mountaindale West Day Camp, you need to attend this meeting. We cover your responsibilities, camp guidelines and rules, and what to expect in a typical day. You'll also be given a visual tour of Camp Mountaindale through a slide show presentation.
Bonny Slope Elementary School Cafeteria and Gym (tentative)
Thursday, May 24, 2018 from 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Indoor Training is required for all volunteers. Paperwork and signatures are required during this training. This meeting will take the full time allotted.
This is a VERY important event where almost all of the preliminary planning is done for the week at camp. What will happen this night:
- You will get your unit assignment
- Meet your co-leader and PAs
- Sign required paperwork
- Plan and create a calendar for the week of camp
- Decide who will complete certain assignments prior to the week of camp (welcome postcard, pick up supplies, name tags, swaps, etc.)
- Plan a date to meet again before camp to "check in" with each other and make sure you are ready for the camp week
- Make equipment requests for the camp week for your unit
- Make any special unit requests (items that we may not carry in our camp supplies, but might need to be borrowed or purchased or special cooking needs)
You will get demonstrations and information about:
- Arts & Crafts
- Ice Cream
Saturday, July 14, 2018 from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Outdoor Training is required for all volunteers. This is an opportunity to:
- Receive instructions about the upcoming week of camp
- Have a hands-on cooking demonstration
- Talk to the health supervisor about any medical needs of your campers
- Pick up your unit supplies from Arts & Crafts
- Pick up your unit supplies from Supplies
- Give you one last chance to meet with your co-leader and PAs to finalize your calendar for the camp week
- Set up your unit site with banners, tables and unit supplies